Our Families (email me new pics)

Saturday, June 21, 2008

DPU Reunion Recap - from Miriam


Hello AXO's from the Class of '93, Happy Summer! Since I was the only AXO to attend the DPU reunion last weekend, I thought I'd send a quick note to let you know how it went and to include a few highlights. I'll try to keep this "brief but brilliant"...

First and foremost, congratulations to Melanie for receiving the Community Leadership Award. She was one of four people from our class to get the award. Rechtin shared with our class some of the great work she's done for Indiana and across the U.S. to help deliver healthcare to those who need it most. It was nice to see she got some well-deserved recognition.

Next, I will tell you only 30 or so people from the class of '93 attended and that I was the only AXO. The only other sorority with representation was Theta who had six women...Frasier, Fesko, Katie ?, Kristin Hall, and two more who I can't remember. Lisa Henderson was also there as were a few other independents. The rest of the class was a bunch of boys including Ty Snouffer (of course), Brad Simmons, Andre Brewer, Rechtin, Macy, Matt Lessall, Jason Hubert, Brian Zalewski, Stu Morton, John Zimdars, and others whose names escape me right now. So it was a small group, but it was a really fun, social group. I had a lot more fun than I expected. Also, it's worth noting that everyone looks exactly, exactly the same!!! Hilarious!

We had lunch out at the new Nature Park which is at the old quarry. It was really beautiful and could have been a state park it was so big. The real highlight was they served Marvin's for dinner over at Longden Hall. Most of you probably gave up red meat about 10 years ago, but for the rest of us those burgers were just perfect! (They also served chicken, cheese fries, etc) No one starved. On Saturday night we went to the Walden Inn (where they destroyed the outdoor porch with the rocking chairs and covered it up with some dumb, indoor hallway) and drank outside on a new patio where they were serving $1.00 beers, etc. The whole class got in a big circle of chairs and socialized. Zalewski and Stu ordered Marvins AGAIN later, too. Just can't get enough...

The house looks really, really great. Anita was there and she looks exactly the same. They initiated her a few years ago, so she's an AXO now. I believe she's celebrating her 25th anniversary with AXO in a couple of years. Note to all - it would be nice if we could do something nice for her when that comes around. If someone knows exact dates for this anniversary we could all send her cards, etc. She had made a bunch of her bread, so I chowed down the apple bread. She also had a new kind of caramel apple cookie which I couldn't stop eating, so that was bad...

We also went to the convocation where the 25 year class and the 50 year class reunions march in and make presentations, etc. All I can tell you is everyone in the room was SHOCKED and AMAZED when the 50-year class unveiled their class donation check of $30 million dollars! It was a small class and about 80% of them donated, so in the end each class member gave an AVERAGE of $100,000 each. Although Jean told me that one person alone was responsible for a big chunk of that. Have a feeling our class won't quite come through with that!Also, our class was supposed to stay in Mason Hall so I requested my room from freshman year b/c I thought that would be fun. Well, not only did that not work, but we landed in the "overflow" dorm which happened to be...Lambda Chi. Not the highlight of the weekend. I'll leave it at that.

In general, I just want you to know how much FUN it was to be back on campus! It looks the same and is entirely different all at the same time. The academic buildings all look like they took steroids over the last 15 years as they're bigger and taller. BTW I noticed one of the reunion classes actually stayed at AX (I assume they were AXs) so that may be a fun event to consider. They said that the 15-year reunion is typically small, but the 20th and 25th are huge, so maybe we can get together then.

Finally, below I'm attaching a link to KodakGallery (http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=rxjln0z.aesk7cf7&x=0&y=h3eel9&localeid=en_US) where you can see some photos from yesterday when Jean, Andrea, Heather and I met at a Naperville, Illinois McDonald's (because it was raining out) with our kids. I wouldn't say it was a calm, relaxing way to catch up, but it was fun to see everyone and to watch the kids play together. Hope all is well with everyone and you're having a great summer. Be sure to keep in touch!

Miriam

No comments: